Indoor Plants: A step towards Clean and Green Interiors!
A good design is subjective. Especially in interior design, the “look and feel” of the space depends on the taste of the user. But there is this one thing that can surely add value and beauty to any space, irrespective of the design style and trend. This thing surely lifts the mood of the users and adds a classic touch to space. Despite being organic it has the potential to add a sculptural and cultured look to the interiors. Thus, indoor plants for interior design are always a good option. They not only enhance the beauty of the space but also aid in refreshing the air quality and induce mindfulness among the users.
However, there has to be a strategy to introduce indoor plants into your interior design. You need to know what kind of interior plants suits best to our space. Moreover, a little research on its sustainability, maintenance, and benefits goes a long way to achieve the best results.
Let us first have a look at the general benefits of indoor plants and tips related to interior plant decoration. Later we will explore some plant species that are best suitable for interior design.
Benefits of using indoor plants in interior design:
- Reducing stress and anxiety: Indoor plants help one lower blood pressure, induces calmness, and boost emotional well-being.
- Inducing sound sleep: Interior plants supply oxygen which helps one sleep better and stay afresh.
- Purifying indoor air: Indoor plants also help to improvise the quality of the air via natural filtering.
- Fighting air-borne allergens: Indoor plants increase humidity and decrease dust in the environment, leading to a reduction in allergens in the air.
- Boosts productivity: It is proven that a home or office interior with indoor plants helps one to stay focused, be more creative, and in a way boosts productivity.
Tips to use Indoor Plants for Interior Design:
1. Space Analysis:
The first step would be analyzing your indoor space to gauge the strongest and weakest areas. This will further help to understand which part of your indoor space needs to be brought under the limelight and in what areas can you add more static decors. Eventually, this will aid in chalking out perfect locations to adorn your interior with plants.
2. Choosing the right Indoor Plants for interiors:
This would be based on the interior design style, colour palette, and finishes you have finalized. This will help you choose the right indoor plants in terms of colour shade, size, structure, and medium to pot your plant indoors.
3. Avoid unnecessary chaos:
Don’t clutter your space with an excess of interior plants. Leave enough space even for the plants to breathe, flow and grow.
4. Complimenting interiors with large indoor plants:
Tall indoor plants add a style statement to the room. They are perfect pieces to go minimal and to compliments the negative spaces in your interior design.
5. Decorating with small indoor plants:
The versatility and low maintenance of the small indoor plants make them the most sought-after for interior design. Use small indoor plants to highlight and decorate certain areas.
Best Indoor Plants for Interiors:
Here’s a comprehensive list of the 10 best indoor plants to be used in interior plant decoration for a fresh and eco-friendly interior environment.
10. Meyer Lemon Tree
Botanically known as Citrus X Meyer, these indoor plants will add a sweet fragrance to your interiors and are best to add a fresh touch to your living room. They bear fruits known as Meyer lemons, which is believed to be a hybrid of lemons and mandarin oranges. Apart from the fragrance, the plant blooms beautiful flowers, adding more cheer to your space.
Appearance: Glossy green leaves, white blossoms, and yellow-orange fruits.
Height: 6-10 feet
Suitable for: Planting near windows and balconies.
- The plant needs lots of sun to grow and thrive, place it accordingly.
- They need a minimum of 6 hours of sunlight.
- Cut off dry roots frequently.
- Place a stone of around 2-inch height beneath the pot.
- Does not sheds leaves, evergreen in nature with broad leaves.
- Shiny dark foliage adds beauty to the interiors.
Buy your Meyer Lemon Tree interior plant Here:
9. Areca Palm
This perennial plant was once an endangered species. Areca palm goes by the botanical name Dypsis lutescens and has smooth, golden trunks like bamboo. These plants are quite commonly used in warm climates. Thus, Areca Palm is one of the best options to add a style statement to your interior with plants.
Appearance: Long and smooth trunks, narrow fronds – bamboo-like leaves.
Height: 10-30 feet
Suitable for: Warm and dry climates.
- Partial sun exposure with moist and well-drained soil.
- Keep away from air conditioners, cold windows, and heat sources.
- One of the best air-purifying plants.
- Adds humidity to dry air.
- Makes your interiors look lush and energetic.
Buy your Areca Palm Here:
8. Fiddle leaf fig (Ficus Lyrata)
These are long shrubs with broad and leathery green leaves. The fiddle leaf fig goes by the botanical name Ficus Lyrata and is known to add a sense of drama to the indoor space with its long stems and organic growth. These can aid as perfect focal points in rooms and can be placed in areas that need attention.
Appearance: Heavily veined, broad upright leaves
Height: 10 feet
Suitable for: Rooms with 60 to 80 Fahrenheit temperatures, can be used indoors as well as outdoors.
- Filtered sun exposure.
- Keep away from air conditioners, cold windows, and heat vents.
- Hypoallergic in nature.
- Regulates overall air quality.
Buy your Fiddle Leaf Fig(Ficus Lyrata) Here:
7. Snake Plant
Growing upright like charmed snakes from the basket, the Snake Plant is one of the perfect interior plants to achieve a balance between order and chaos in design. These are very versatile and do not take much space. Moreover, the sword-like shape of the leaves adds a unique look to the indoors. Snake plants go by the botanical name Sansevieria Trifasciata and are good options in case you have limited indoor space.
Appearance: Sword like upright succulent leaves,
Height: 6 inches – 12 feet
Suitable for: Grows best in springtime, but is resilient to any climate. Mostly used as bedroom décor.
- Indirect sun exposure.
- Scarce watering.
- Removes toxic pollutants.
- Filters indoor air.
- Converts Co2 to oxygen at night.
Buy your Snake Plant Here:
6. Kentia Palm
Probably among the most popular plants for interiors in the world, Kentia Plam goes by the botanical name Howea forsteriana. Its fronds are known to grow tall from the soil and then lean forward, shading the base. This indoor plant is best known for its shade and cold-tolerant properties. This is usually seen in groups, adorning the interiors of hotels and residences. It is used in interiors with a tropical theme.
Appearance: Tropical arching foliage.
Height: 3-12 feet
Suitable for: Used as a feature plant, kept in groups to add an aesthetic backdrop.
- Keep in partial Shade.
- Use sandy well-drained soil.
- Acts as a good focal point in interior landscapes.
- Purifies air.
- Drought tolerant.
5. Split-Leaf Philodendron
Also known as the Swiss Cheese Plant, the botanical name for this is Monstera Deliciosa. This plant has distinctive leaves that look manually crafted to achieve that particular form. These are climbing evergreen vine and best used in tropical-themed interior plant decoration.
Appearance: Evergreen vines, with aesthetic leaves and aerial roots.
Height: 9 feet
Suitable for: West-facing windows, Spaces with bright indirect sunlight, Indoors with ample space and tropical look.
- Do not let the aerial roots sit in water.
- Place on a pebble tray.
- Reduces air-borne toxins.
- Keeps indoor air free of formaldehyde.
Buy your Philodendron Here:
4. Cast Iron Plants for interiors
The cast-iron plant, botanically known as Aspidistra elatior is referred to as an indestructible houseplant. This plant can survive harsh conditions and has arching lance-shaped glossy foliage. The creamy purple flowers further add to the aesthetics and spring is the best time for growing them.
Appearance: Perennial, herbaceous lance-shaped green leaves.
Height: 2-3 feet
Suitable for: Spring and summer seasons, North facing windows.
- Use well-drained soil.
- Keep in partial shade, away from direct sunlight.
- Purple flowers and lance-shaped leaves add an aesthetic appeal to the indoors.
- Absorbs harmful chemicals like benzene and formaldehyde.
3. Boston Fern
Botanically known as Nephrolepis exaltata, the Boston fern is a popular indoor plant and grown in tropical areas. The sword-shaped fronds are blue-green with tiny leaflets that are erect and arch as they grow whereas the foliage remains evergreen.
Appearance: Perennial, herbaceous lance-shaped green leaves.
Height: 2-3 feet
Suitable for: Warm and humid conditions
- Keep away from air conditioners, drafts, and heat vents.
- Keep in indirect light and moist soil.
- Best used as living room and sofa side plants for interior design.
- Improves humidity and restores moisture in the indoor air.
2. Peruvian Apple Cactus
The Peruvian apple cactus is kind of a succulent that stands erect and has thick ribs. They also have flowers that bloom at night. The botanical name for this plant is Cereus peruvianus and these can grow quickly in the wild. The cactus is blue, sea-green colored, and has a waxy texture that is known to protect the moisture to help the plant cope up with drought conditions.
Appearance: Columnar Cactus, desertic plant
Height: 3 feet
Suitable for: Fall and winter seasons.
- Use well-drained soil
- Requires little space and minimal care.
Buy your indoor Cactus Here:
1. Jade Plant
A succulent plant with white and pink flowers, the Jade plant is considered a lucky tree. The botanical name for this is Crassula ovata and is used as an indoor plant worldwide. The tiny green leaves store water that helps the plant survive even in dry conditions.
Appearance: Evergreen succulent plant.
Height: 3-6 feet
Suitable for: South-facing windows, home, and office decoration; Best used as Indoor Hanging plants for interiors.
- Use well-drained soil.
- Keep in full sunlight.
- Can survive more than a month without water.
- Absorbs C02 at night.
- Evergreen, sturdy plant.
- Easy to maintain.